Teasers and 'My Life on the Road' by Gloria Steinem

My Life on the RoadI haven't done one of these in a while but I'm back with a great book! Today I'm featuring a book which came out last month: My Life on the Road by the iconic Gloria Steinem! I wanted to read this one as soon as I saw it on Netgalley and I was so excited to be approved for it. My review is coming up in the next two weeks or so, but I thought I'd share a couple of tasters from it with you guys anyway.
Gloria Steinem—writer, activist, organizer, and one of the most inspiring leaders in the world—now tells a story she has never told before, a candid account of how her early years led her to live an on-the-road kind of life, traveling, listening to people, learning, and creating change. She reveals the story of her own growth in tandem with the growth of an ongoing movement for equality. This is the story at the heart of My Life on the Road.
Tuesday Intros and Teaser Tuesdays are hosted by Diane over at Bibliophile by the Sea and MizB at A Daily Rhythm respectively.

Intro:
Prologue: 'I board a plane for Rapid City, South Dakota, and see a lot of people in black leather, chains and tattoos. Airline passengers usually look like where they're going - business suits to Washington, D.C., jeans to L.A. - but I can't imagine a conventions of sadomasochists in Rapid City. It's the kind of town where people still angle-park their cars in front of the movie palace. My bearded seatmate is asleep in his studded jacket and nose ring, so I just accept one more mystery of the road.' 1%
I really liked this beginning because Steinem sort of sets you up to judge the bikers with her but then by the end of the first chapter, really, she has shown you how wrong your prejudices were. And from my own experiences bikers are amongst the nicest people ever!
First Line: 'When people ask me why I still have hope and energy after all these years, I always say: Because I travel.'
I couldn't not share this first line because I just love it so much. I myself get a lot of energy and comfort out of travelling so I totally see where Steinem is coming from here.

Teaser:
TeaserTuesdays2014e
'He thinks that power over our own bodies means power over our own voices, and he wants to speak up for this family. I tell him that he just took that power. Now no one can ever take it away.' 80%
Steinem is here talking about a Hmong refugee from Laos. My Life on the Road is suffused with a massive variety of people's stories and it's what makes the book so great. Unlike other biographies, Steinem's story isn't just about herself but rather about how others have shaped and affected her. It's a very nice approach.

So, does My Life on the Road sound something like you? Steinem is an icon, but her writing is never intimidating or pedantic!

Comments

  1. I've had this on my list -- so glad to know it's good. I love the opener and teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good intro, but don't think this is one I'd read. Hope you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - I like that intro! I'd keep reading...plus, I've been seeing this one around a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a big fan of Steinem! In the early seventies, she spoke at my university and I was enthralled by listening to her. Ms. Magazine had just arrived, and we were all still finding our way via Consciousness-Raising groups.

    Thanks for sharing...I'm off to add this one to my list.

    Here's mine: “ICE COLD”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Steinem (and you!) about the benefits of travel. Sounds like she has taken a unique approach in this memoir. I like that it unfolds through the stories of other people. This sounds like a book I'd remember for a long time.
    My Tuesday post features Emma Knows All.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might look for the audio version of this one. I don't often read memoirs by celebrities or well known people, but the human approach you describe and the approach-ability of this book make it sound like something I would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been curious about this one. I like the opening, so I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the intro, but I don't think I would read it. Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love her, so I definitely want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw her in an interview on a morning show plugging this book. It does sound like she has an interesting life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts