Friday Memes and 'Of Things Gone Astray' by Janina Matthewson

I have a bad habit of getting really excited by books and then getting distracted. It's not good and I'm working on it. Of Things Gone Astray is the kind of book that I was really excited about and wanted to get started with straight away. Then life happened and now I'm finally starting it. And just look at that cover, isn't it stunning? This is Of Things Gone Astray by Janina Matthewson.
Mrs Featherby had been having pleasant dreams until she woke to discover the front of her house had vanished overnight … 
On a seemingly normal morning in London, a group of people all lose something dear to them, something dear but peculiar: the front of their house, their piano keys, their sense of direction, their place of work.
Meanwhile, Jake, a young boy whose father brings him to London following his mother’s sudden death in an earthquake, finds himself strangely attracted to other people’s lost things. But little does he realise that his most valuable possession is slipping away from him.
Of Things Gone Astray is a magical fable about modern life and values. Perfect for fans of Andrew Kaufman and Cecelia Ahern.
Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Gilion over at Rose City Reader and Freda over at Freda's Voice.

Book Beginnings:
'Mrs. Featherby.
Mrs. Featherby had been having pleasant dreams until she woke to discover the front of her house had vanished overnight. 
They had been dreams of when she was younger and more energetic, dreams of a time when she had full use of her knees. She had saved someone in one of them, someone helpless, she thought, but once awake she couldn't remember who or why or what had happened next.' 1%
I like the beginning because the first line is just so beautifully ridiculous, but then Matthewson just moves on. I like it when books have absurdness in them but don't go 'Oh my God, we're being so edgt and abstract, look at us'. Basically I really wish I'd started this sooner!


Friday 56:
'"OK, number one, princess, we stopped believing in the loves of our lives when we were seventeen; number two, I didn't not like her, I just thought you were too much of a different person because of her; and number three, I'm allowed to be blasé about your having lost her if you're going to be blasé bout the tree you're turning into."' 56%
Erm, what?! That's one way to have me desperate to get to 56% straightaway! I mean, we've lost people, people are turning into trees... this is definitely my type of book!


Comments

  1. I agree that the cover grabs your attention! This sounds like an interesting choice and I like both the beginning and the 56...here's my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cover too and the synopsis is fascinating. I can see why you were excited to read it. I'm that way about some books too. Then life steps in the way. I'm going to work on that next year. Setting new goals and changing how I do review books.

    My 56 - http://fuonlyknew.com/2015/11/13/the-friday-56-85-the-captive-condition/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover makes me stop and think, what could this book be about. As I read all the info, I think this is one I would enjoy. Hope you do!
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover is amazing! And so are the excerpts...can't wait to find out more....thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I'm odd girl out, but the cover scares me.
    You can find mine here... http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsblogFTF

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds like a great read, and that cover! Happy weekend and thanks for the visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cover is really nice. I hope you enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL...I love the cover. I literally did laugh out loud when I saw it.

    I hope you are enjoying the book.

    Have a great weekend.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm terrible at scooping up absolute must reads and then having them sit on my shelf or Kindle for years! Love the cover on this one and the sounds of both the teasers. The end of the 56 made me do a bit of a double take though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds fascinating. Like how did her part of her house disappear???
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woah. This sounds like a really interesting book and you are right, that cover is stunning! Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great cover and an interesting 56!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one unique cover, lots is going on with it. The snippets are interesting. I want to know more. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts