Teaser Tuesday - 'The Magus' by John Fowles

I have been completely swept up in Armchair BEA excitement. Anyone who hasn't joined, I really recommend it. Twitter parties are officially my favourite parties! But now back to some more scheduled blogging! Teaser Tuesday is hosted by MizB over at Should Be Reading. To join just do the following:

• Grab your current read
• Open to a random page
• Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
• BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
• Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

This week I'm using The Magus by John Fowles, a book I'm planning on starting on my train journey on Wednesday.

The Magus is the story of Nicholas Urfe, a young Englishman who accepts a teaching assignment on a remote Greek island. There his friendship with a local millionaire evolves into a deadly game, one in which reality and fantasy are deliberately manipulated, and Nicholas must fight for his sanity and his very survival.

The cover to the right is also the one my copy has. Isn't it beautiful?

The teasers:
'He took me round the village kaphaneia and tavernas, and I got a taste for Greek food and Greek folk music. But there was always something mournful about the place in daylight.' p.45
Usually places look mournful at night so I wonder what makes this Greek village so sad-looking during the day.

'"I do not ask you to believe. All I ask you is to pretend to believe. Just pretend to believe. It will be easier."' p.124

I love the phrasing of this quote. It just seems so incredibly sad! I have a feeling this book might make me cry at some point!

So, how about you? What are you teasing with today? I have work during the day so I'll be stopping by in the evening!

Comments

  1. Nice tease! Totally new to me read! Hope you're enjoying it!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is original, it looks like something you don't see every day. As for the teasers, they sound interesting and I agree with you, it seems like this could be a sad read, indeed. Hope you're going to love the book!

    Here's my TT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks to be a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great teaser. I'm not familiar with this one but it sounds like a good read :)
    Here's my TTT post
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Just pretend to believe." I like those words. I always wondered about this book. Never knew the plot. Your Teaser and all really helped.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts