Following 'Hyde'

Alison Can Read Feature & FollowI'm loving all the sun that is currently blessing England with its presence, although apparently it won't last. Damn you, clouds from Scotland! Anyways, let's get on with these memes, the first of which actually has to do with the weather. Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee and the question is:


Spring is in the air! Show off your favorite outdoors reading spot. If you don't go outside...well where else do you read that isn't inside your house? We want pics!

Can't believe this question comes up on the day that I have abandoned where I live for London! Now I can't take any of the pictures. I have had to resort to Google to find pictures of my university so they're a bit fancy but oh well. The picture below is a photo of the park that is on my Uni campus. There is a lake, there is a tiny island with trees and benches, there is a walk around etc. The big building in the middle is one of the campus buildings that has a surprising amount of places to eat such as a Salad Bar, a Chinese and even a Chicago Pizza place.


I love reading in the park, because it is just so nice and relatively quiet, except for the occasional sports societies running around on their jogging trips, which I honestly can't complain about. Other places where I have really enjoyed reading this year is at the Starbucks in town.

Yes, this picture is shamelessly stolen from my own Instagram and I have no idea which filter this is, but hopefully you can see the benefits of reading at Starbucks: a large Latte and a Rocky Road! I managed to read All Quiet on the Western Front and The Plague in Starbucks!

18222768Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are hosted by Rose City Reader and Freda's Voice respectively. This week I am using Hyde by Daniel Levine.

A reimagining of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from the monster's perspective, Hyde makes a hero of a villain. As a bonus, Stevenson's original novel is included at the back. 
Mr. Hyde is hiding, trapped in Dr. Jekyll's surgical cabinet, counting the hours until capture. As four days pass, he has the chance, finally, to tell the story of his brief, marvelous life.
I haven't copied the entire synopsis from Goodreads because I feel it gives away quite a lot

BB:
'Henry Jekyll is dead.I whisper the words and then listen, as if I've dropped a stone into a well and await the plunk and splash...But inside my head there is only silence.' p.1
It seems to be a rather definite beginning and shouldn't be a spoiler if you've read the original The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. But I'm reading the book right now and it is slowly turning out not to be as simple as the beginning makes it out to be. I am really starting to feel sorry for Hyde, to be honest.

F56:
'The Gullet was the proper name. The  place was dark and narrow and at the back fell down a steep staircase to a basement room.' p.56
I love the descriptiveness of this book so far. Levine is really managing to paint a picture of the city and his characters in such a way that he sticks with the dark tone of his book and the original, yet infuses them with life.


If you have the time, I'd love for you to stop by my "tour" of the amazing website Forgotten Books!

So, where do you like to read outside the house? And which books are you using for your memes?

Comments

  1. Ooh nice! Looks like a nice place to read!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty :) Looks very tranquil, just perfect for an afternoon of reading...

    New GFC follower :)

    My FF

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reaction is interesting as are the quotes. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting beginning! I read the classic last year and thought it was very interesting so that's cool about the re-imagining. Happy reading :)

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm curious, even though I haven't read the first one. Various movies over the years have given me a teaser, though. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous park! All Quiet on the Western Front has been on my reading list for ages. I really need to tackle that one soon. Hyde sounds like an interesting story- an interesting take on a well-known tale.
    Happy Reading!
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are a nice treat. I am very curious about Hyde!

    My Friday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/03/friday-focus-friday-56-book-beginnings_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard about Hyde but haven't read it. Sounds like a fascinating twist on the original. Maybe it would be best to read the original first?
    Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhh... you just gave me a major Starbucks craving! New GFC & blogloving follower here.
    www.kalebsmome.blogspot.com
    <3
    Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love to read in a park too. We don't have Starbucks in my country, but I don't mind, I am one of those rare people who don't drink coffee at all. New Bloglovin follower :)
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your ability to not drink coffee! I have become addicted within the space of a few months and practically live on it now!

      Delete
  11. Now this seems like a fantastic book!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your uni looks beautiful! I wish there was a park nearby like that to read at. My town is seriously lacking in that department and Starbucks.

    New follower via BlogLovin'! My FF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only recently re-read the original. this sounds cool! Thanks for sharing it with BBOF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I should read Jekyll and Hyde first. I do like your reading setting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely day ... in London ;) Another re-telling? Doesn't it seem all the rage lately? Hope you're enjoying this one.
    PS I've got a sudden craving for pastries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give into your craving for pastries, it's the only way to live a happy life! ;)

      Delete
  16. Lovely photos! I'm so jealous of your reading spot and thanks for stopping by my Friday 56 :) I'm really curious about Hyde now after stopping by here :) I've been seeing it around a lot how are you liking it?
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really enjoying 'Hyde' so far. It's a really different way of looking at both Hyde and Jekyll and as an English student I'm really enjoying the new angles this brings up! I'd definitely recommend it! :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always like retellings, and Hyde seems like it'd be an interesting story from a different perspective! I'm glad you're enjoying the book so far. Thanks for sharing, I'm adding this book to my TBR! =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts