Freaky Friday




Alison Can Read Feature & FollowI am seriously running out of titles for these Friday posts but I simple do not want to number them, because I would never be able to keep track. First three weeks would be fine and then suddenly 'Friday 22'! But let's set my incompetence aside and focus on these memes! Follow Friday is hosted by Alison Can Read and Parajunkee


Q: If you could hang out with any author (living) who would it be and what would you want to do?


If I could only pick living authors I would probably go for a dinner party rather than just one author. Not only is there more food, but there's more authors. I would definitely invite Carlos Ruiz Zafon and I'd just force him to tell me how he writes so beautifully. I mean, it just isn't fair the way he uses words and crafts fantasy! I would also invite J.K. Rowling. That's a no-brainer right there! She wouldn't even have to do anything, I'd just be her personal slave for the entire evening out of endless gratitude. That woman has given me so much throughout my childhood that I'd make her whatever she wants for dinner, even if it has mushrooms in it! Umberto Eco would be another one. There is no one, in my humble opinion, who writes about the Middle Ages this well. In case you can't remember what he wrote, 'The Name of the Rose' is his. He is also funny, which is always good when entertaining guests. I'm going to limit myself to four guests. And with the last one I am going to break the rules. Number four is George Lucas. I realise he hasn't, as such, written books, but there is hardly a movie out there that is drenched deeper in mythology and legend than the Star Wars trilogies. People often miss this fact because they cannot see past the label of 'Sci-Fi', but I just want to pick his brain about so many different things! And I owe him just as much, if not more, as J.K. Rowling. My childhood was the better for his imagination.
And in case one of them had something better to do than eat my food, as if, my extra choice would be John Green. I haven't read any of his books, don't hate me please, but he seems really funny and I definitely want to read one of his books soon!





Today I decided to use 'Catch 22' by Joseph Heller for Book Beginnings (Rose City Reader) and Friday 56 (Freda's Voice). 

Catch-22At the heart of Catch-22 resides the incomparable, malingering bombardier, Yossarian, a hero endlessly inventive in his schemes to save his skin from the horrible chances of war. His efforts are perfectly understandable because as he furiously scrambles, thousands of people he hasn't even met are trying to kill him. His problem is Colonel Cathcart, who keeps raising the number of missions the men must fly to complete their service. Yet if Yossarian makes any attempts to excuse himself from the perilous missions that he is committed to flying, he is trapped by the Great Loyalty Oath Crusade, the hilariously sinister bureaucratic rule from which the book takes its title: a man is considered insane if he willingly continues to fly dangerous combat missions, but if he makes the necessary formal request to be relieved of such missions, the very act of making the request proves that he is sane and therefore ineligible to be relieved.
Book Beginnings
'It was love at first sight.'
It's just such a lovely way to begin a novel. It also tells you a lot about the main character, so that's good! And I think it is very hopeful, which makes me automatically hopeful for the novel. And let's face it, it is 'Catch 22', so I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Friday 56
‘Captain Yossarian requests permission to speak to the major at once about a matter of life or death,’ he repeated determinedly.  ‘Permission denied,’ Major Major snapped.
Don't be ridiculous Yossarian, we have more important things to deal with than matters of life or death! This novel really is making me laugh at times, Yossarian is just really funny at times.

SO, who are your author guests? Leave a link in your comment so I can see you answers or tell me in the comment itself!

Comments

  1. Oh, a dinner party!NIce idea. I should have thought that!:)
    New follower.
    Here is my FF http://between-my-lines.blogspot.gr/2013/04/feature-and-follow-10-what-if.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice excerpts! I haven't read this book, but loved the movie.

    Here's MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also enjoyed the movie! I am a new to the blogging world and I would love for you to join me on my journey! I am following you through twitter and GFC. I look forward to more posts.

    Katelynn Clark
    www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com
    literarychameleon@gmail.com
    www.twitter.com/chameleonreads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun at your dinner party! Thanks for stopping by and following.
    Following back,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol a dinner party?! That's actually a great idea! And J K Rowling's on my list as well :)

    New follower via GFC :)

    Here's my FF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an awesome dinner party, Juli! Can I come too! :D Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're enjoying Catch-22! Been meaning to re-read it but I remember enjoying it when I first read it a few years ago =)

    My Friday Book Memes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha sneaky- good idea choosing a dinner party :)
    I'm a new GFC follower
    Thanks for stopping by My FF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I never would have believed that Catch 22 begins like that. Shows I have never read it, huh? ;) Great posts!

    Come by and see what I posted for Book Beginnings today on my blog SnifferWalk Books. Love to have ya!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried to read it once, but life happened and the book vanished. I think it got lost when we moved.... well, maybe I should get a copy and give it another go.
    Isn't there a movie too, based on this book??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is! I haven't seen it yet though. Should probably wait until after I've finished the book! :)

      Delete
  11. I hate to admit that I have yet to read Catch 22. I need to get this one on my To Read list ASAP. The first sentence is so simple and known yet it is the perfect start to lure the reader in. Thanks for visiting me @ The Key to the Gate. I hope you have a great weekend!
    Happy Reading,
    Rebecca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seeing lots of JK as a pick today! And John Green too! I'd looove to meet JK as I am sure half the world could say!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG as big YES to JKR, she was my top pick this week (but like you I couldn't stop at just one haha!) I love how you said you just want to be around her and would willingly be her slave - SAME HERE :D George Lucas is another brilliant choice too...can I come?!

    Anyways GREAT answer, thanks for sharing and have a fab week end!
    Old follower,
    Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never read a John Green book, either!

    Thanks for the follow! I've followed via Twitter (@readandreviewed).

    ~Merin @ Read and Reviewed~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...you're "Beginning" and "56" really took me back. I haven't read Catch-22 since college, but I really enjoyed it.

    I'm with you on Umberto Eco...but I'd have Julian Barnes, David Lodge, Harlan Ellison, Kerry Greenwood and P.D. James filling out the rest of my dinner party. Here's my Friday Post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been able to finish Catch 22. I love the humour to start with, but get tired of it by the 3/4 mark and I just peter out!
    Good luck - the quotes made me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooow, John Green and J.K.!!! I would definitely liked to pick their minds! Great pick!

    Your new 500th follower :D !

    Tt@ Never Ending Stories

    ReplyDelete
  18. What excellent choices! I loved reading your post. I chose J.K. too. I think she's absolutely fantastic. What you said about being her slave for the day and even eating mushrooms for her is hilarious. I don't like mushrooms either ;) I really respect your other picks as well. Thank you so much for stopping by my FF and following. New follower :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi Juli! this is one of those books that i have yet to read. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a fun post! And what a riot of a party that would be :) Zafon is one of my new faves (and what a fun pic of him here) -- him chattering with very Brit JKR and then throwing in George Lucas ....??!@%#%

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a well thought out FF answer! I totally love what you wrote even if I only recognize the names of J.K. Rowling and George Lucas, they're both incredible writers as well as influential people :P I'd be honored to meet them let alone have dinner with either :)

    Wonderful FF!! New GFC Follower,

    -Seirra @ Dear, Restless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous answer! You will DIE (metaphorically) when you read John Green. DIE. He is equal parts hilarious and gut-wrenching in his writing. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts